Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Looking east, south

Chris and I are quickly approaching the end of the semester, but he's more than ready to skip a couple of planes over the ocean to an exotic new place where we don't speak the language.
Though I'm open to this situation, I'm terribly worried about our cats. We have two cats, one is very sickly, the other is quite mean — he's still a kitten and likes to play, hates affection that's not completely on his terms. How many people ship cats overseas and when we get there how do we get them back to the U.S.?
There's also a problem in getting over ... where?
I've researched teaching in Japan, and for the first time in my adult life, my master's actually makes a considerable difference in my placement. That would be remarkable news, but Chris doesn't have a masters or teaching experience, so pooh-pooh on that.
The other issues are based in the bickering between Chris and me over the move itself. He wants to move by the end of summer. My stance is that we can net better teaching opportunities if we finish this certification process than if we sign up with a company and move over without a certificate. Once again, I'm worried about what happens to the cats, where we will live, etc. Then once we get there, how do you get to a doctor if you need one, what happens if we get into a big fight and break-up?
Chris said it is an impulsive decision (this was well into hour 2 of the argument) which worries me because I have two impulsive moves under my belt, Memphis in 2001 and Conway in 2006, both saw me right back to Jonestown. Admittedly the latter move was for the best, and it also serves as a reason to move. I hated working in the news in Conway and it's no better in where I'm working these days. I'm starting to believe that Arkansans would be happier with their heads buried deep in the sand. They won't come out for air or water, just flashy graphics and barbecue.
I'm not going to deny that teaching again is appealing, especially since I'll never get another post at a school in this state. Since I don't have the money for a car, moving to a place where neither of us will need one sounds really good. And I do want to live in a foreign country.
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Maybe it's just Seasonal Affective Disorder (kicks in during long rainy seasons).
In the meantime, I want to start a photo blog based on disposable camera shots. That way I can't set my expensive camera on some fancy, schmancy setting in order to recover a great shot. Besides, my gritty, day-to-day reality would be better served on film at this point.
More later...

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand your fear of the unknown when it comes to moving overseas. I would suggest to get in contact with someone who has done it and see if they have any advice. Do you know Joe Oakley? Aren't some of Jolene's friends friends with him? Is he still on myspace? He was teaching in Japan. He may be able to offer some advice if you can find him.

    Also, I follow the blog of Ross and Nicole, who are teaching English in South Korea. I don't know them personally, but Ross is in Memphis Photo Meet-up, and they seem like good people. I'm sure they would help you if they had time. Here is the blog link:

    http://rossandnicole.wordpress.com/

    I'm not sure about the shipping animals thing, but I would be scared to do that. I've heard horrible things about it since they pretty much just chunk them in with the luggage. Perhaps you could find a foster home for them while you're overseas? Is there a set time limit you'll be there?

    I recommend an old Pentax or an Olympus OM-1 if you want to practice taking photos without the automatic settings. I love both of mine dearly and some of my favorite photos are from them rather than my Nikon, which I still haven't mastered.

    Keep thinking on it and I'm sure you'll figure things out. :)

    ReplyDelete